A Quilting Ladies’ Valentine Project

This year, Valentine’s Day fell on Tuesday, which is the day our weekly quilting/crafting group meets. To celebrate, we were all to make a small quilt, using embellishments or other supplies from every one in the group.

knitting for my Valentine’s Day quilt

One member made fabric flowers for everyone. Others shared crafty charms and Valentine buttons. Two ladies gave us all little quilted hearts. My contribution was a collection of beads, buttons, and a bit of ribbon for each person.

I decided to make my usual TextileFusion-style quilt, so the first step was to knit some fabric for the quilt top. A few hours at my trusty Ultimate Sweater Machine resulted in this length of knitted fabric in pinks, creams, and reds. All the yarn is from stash—gotta love that!!

The first photo shows the fabric already stabilized with fusible interfacing. Then I cut it up and pinned the pieces on to a fabric foundation. Since the foundation fabric doesn’t show in the finished piece, I used some leftover fabric that has been lying around for years.

cut pieces pinned to fabric foundation

Here it is, all pinned and ready to sew.

I zig-zagged between each and every cut edge, sometimes twice. The zig catches the edge of one cut piece, and the zag catches the edge of the piece next to the first cut piece. At the same time, they are both attached to the foundation fabric.

It takes a while, and it’s kind of messy because the cut knitting sheds little bits of yarn. Finally, all the pieces were attached to each other and the foundation. I added rickrack to the quilt top.

Valentine’s Day quilt top almost ready for quilting

Next time, my favorite part of the process: choosing embellishments!

, , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply