Fridays are fun on Twitter. The process actually starts the Saturday before, when Colour Collective (@Clr_Collective on Twitter) posts a color for the week. The idea is for artists to create a piece using that color, or to find a previous work that has the color in it.
On any given Friday, at 19:30 GMT (that would be early afternoon, here in Texas), everyone posts their work, including the tag #colour_collective, and the name of the color for the week. It’s a fun challenge, and my Friday afternoon Twitter feed is just beautiful!
Lots of illustrators join in, which I love, because I have been fascinated by illustration since childhood. However, artists in all media are welcome to take the Colour Collective challenge.
Making textile art takes me a while, so I had to go back to Puzzling Pinks, a piece from 2015, to find Cherry Blossom Pink for our May 11th challenge. (Read more about Puzzling Pinks here and here.) The pinks seem to match a lot better on my phone than they do here.
After working (and being distracted from working) on a large, complicated piece for quite a while, I needed a break. Usually, creating something small and relatively quick helps me feel like I’m accomplishing something, and I can go back to complex work with renewed enthusiasm.
So for the next two weeks, I made mini-quilts especially for the Colour Collective challenge. For May 18th, the color was Dioxazine Mauve, a dark violet. I put together previously-knitted purples with old and newly-crocheted stars in Stellar Perspective, a 10 x 14″ knitted, embellished quilt. (The star crochet patterns are in my book, Cute Crochet World.)
In February of this year, I posted about a wonderful discovery. A happy doily from my stash, with red, yellow, and green accents turned out to be the perfect match for some rainbow-striped fabric my friend Donna was giving away. On a whim, I had put the happy doily onto the rainbow fabric, and, as the young people would say…OMG! The happy doily and rainbow fabric were clearly made for each other!
I rolled together the doily and fabric and put them carefully away, to work on later.
The time came in May, when the Colour Collective challenge was Gamboge. Of all the fabric I have accumulated, the rainbow fabric was the only one with any gamboge in it. Yay! I posted the mostly-finished Fiesta Flower in the Rainbow Jungle on May 25th.