Celebrate Doilies is a traveling exhibit featuring doily heritage, which will amaze you with the skill of crocheters of the past and present. You can read the stories, told by loving family members, about people who crocheted to create beauty for their homes, or to relax after a hard day’s work.
Created and curated by Suzann Thompson, the show also includes Suzann’s doily-themed quilts, like Winterling, at right.
Among the quilts and photos and stories about crocheters from local families and beyond, you will find the works of Texas poet Sandi Horton, who joins the mix with poetry inspired by needlework heirlooms passed down to her by family members.
The Celebrate Doilies Exhibit Package
The Celebrate Doilies exhibit package includes the following:
- Six week run of Celebrate Doilies at your venue.
- 15 to 18 wall hangings of varying sizes, featuring doilies or vintage crochet. Each one includes a hanging rod with an eyelet screw on each end, which allows them to be hung with filament or mounted directly to the wall with nails. All wall hangings are quilts by Suzann Thompson; some are knitted quilts.
- 15 doily-inspired poems mounted on 8 1/2 x 11 inch foam core board, which can be mounted with painter’s tape or on easels. Poems are by Sandi Horton.
- 6 pieces of heritage crochet, to be displayed on a table with some of Sandi’s poems.
- 21-25 foam core posters with photos and histories of doilies and their makers. All are 16 x 20 inches. See an example of a doily heritage poster, below, at the “Process for Booking the Exhibit” heading.
- Two 20 x 28-inch foam core posters about doilies past and present, to be displayed with four modern doilies.
- Show binder with wall hanging prices, press, and more; postcards, business cards, guest book.
- Optional: a 4 x 6 foot doily covered panel. This can be an on-site workshop project.
- Optional: two oversized doilies to hang outside the gallery. See below.
- A presentation or lecture by Suzann Thompson. See presentation titles and descriptions here. Sandi Horton is available for poetry readings.
- Additional promotion of the exhibit by Suzann on her website, blog, social media, and more.
Pricing varies with the distance of the venue from Dublin, Texas. Fees include mileage for trips to set up and take down the exhibit, other travel expenses as necessary, and an honorarium. A non-refundable deposit of $300 is required at booking.
In the future, Celebrate Doilies may be available as a low-security exhibit featuring doily histories, poetry, and artwork on posters only. Please email Suzann if you are interested in a panels-only version of the exhibit, so she can let you know when it is ready.
Why a Fee for this Exhibit?
The year-and-a-half long creation and continuing curation of Celebrate Doilies was self-funded by Suzann Thompson. In addition to the items listed on the Exhibit Request Form, exhibit fees also offset the costs of creating the exhibit and replacing worn and damaged signage, and they pay for content provided by poet Sandi Horton and individuals who wrote their own doily heritage stories.
The fee also supports on-going promotion of the Celebrate Doilies exhibit. Suzann promotes exhibit through her blog and on social media. Whenever possible, she writes guest blog posts or print articles about the exhibit.
Process for Booking the Exhibit
- If you have any questions about the exhibit, pricing, or additional presentations or workshops, please get in touch with Suzann.
- Fill out the online booking form for Celebrate Doilies and submit, OR download the paper booking form for Celebrate Doilies and return it through the post, with the $300 deposit.
- Suzann will phone you to confirm dates for the exhibit and presentation.
- Suzann will email you promotional text and photos for Celebrate Doilies.
- A couple of months before the exhibit is due at your venue, Suzann will phone to complete arrangements.
Promotional Blog Posts for Celebrate Doilies
- Celebrating Doily Heritage
- Texas Artist Activist Suzann Thompson is “Celebrating Doilies”
- Help Fiber Artist Suzann Thompson and Friends Celebrate Doilies!
- Celebrate Doilies with Suzann Thompson
- Interview with Suzann Thompson, Fiber Artist
- Natcromo 2017 Celebrates Doilies!
- Taking a Chance on Doilies
Where has Celebrate Doilies Been?
- The Jung Center, Houston, Texas, January 2019, with the program “Crochet Connections: Weaving Our Story,” by Suzann Thompson and Sandi Horton, January 30.
- The art quilts of Celebrate Doilies were part of a group exhibit at the Clyde H. Wells Fine Art Center, Tarleton State University, Stephenville, Texas, July 2018.
- The heritage posters of Celebrate Doilies were exhibited at the annual convention of the International Organization of Lace (internationalorganizationoflace.org) in San Antonio, Texas, July 2018.
- German Free School (headquarters of the German Texan Heritage Society), Austin, Texas, May 2018.
- Pop-up at the Morgan Mill Community Center, April 2018.
- 4 North Event Center, Comanche, Texas, March 2018.
- The W. K. Gordon Center for Industrial History of Texas, Mingus, Texas, February-March 2018.
- Pop-up exhibit at the Senior Citizens Center, Stephenville,Texas, December 2017- January 2018.
- Dora Lee Langdon Center, Granbury, Texas, September 2017.
- Cross Timbers Fine Arts Council Gallery, Stephenville, Texas, July-August 2017.
- Check the Exhibition Schedule for current and future bookings.
Studio Mailing Address:
2901 FM 1496
Dublin, TX 76446
Telephone: 325 864 7902
To book Suzann’s Celebrate Doilies exhibit, please fill out and return the Celebrate Doilies Booking Form and send to Suzann with the deposit.