Antelope Horns in Bastrop, Texas through April 2019
Suzann’s Antelope Horns wall hanging is on display at the Bastrop (Texas) Public Library, through April 2019, as part of the Bastrop Art in Public Places program. More information about the program at www.baipp.org.
Celebrate Doilies in Houston
Sandi Horton and I were thrilled to see how many people signed the guestbook for the art, history, and poetry exhibit, Celebrate Doilies: Family Connections Across Time and Space, The Jung Center Gallery in Houston, Texas, in January 2019. Thank you to all who came by to see the exhibit and attend our workshop.
Please check back here for details on upcoming venues for Celebrate Doilies. We’re working on it!
More about the Celebrate Doilies Exhibit
Celebrate Doilies will amaze you with the skill of crocheters of the past and present. You can read the stories, told by loving family members, about people who crocheted to create beauty for their homes, or to relax after a hard day’s work.
Created and curated by Suzann Thompson, the show also includes Suzann’s doily-themed quilts, like Afternoon, above right.
Among the quilts and photos and stories about crocheters from local families and beyond, you will find the works of Texas poet Sandi Horton, who joins the mix with poetry inspired by needlework heirlooms passed down to her by family members.
Coats & Clark, a long-time manufacturer of crochet threads and publisher of doily patterns, presents a photo comparison of doilies of the past with doilies of the present.
Celebrate Doilies is available to travel to other venues in 2018. Related workshops, lectures, and poetry readings are available. For more information, contact Suzann.
Suzann is still collecting stories about family heirloom doilies. If you would like to share stories and photos of doilies from your family or friends for future exhibits, please visit Doily Heritage Project.
Celebrate Doilies has been at these venues:
- The Jung Center, Houston, Texas, January 2019, with the program “Crochet Connections: Weaving Our Story,” with Suzann Thompson and Sandi Horton, January 30.
- The art quilts of Celebrate Doilies were part of a group exhibit at the Clyde H. Wells Fine Art Center, Tarleton State University, Stephenville, Texas, July 2018.
- The heritage posters of Celebrate Doilies were exhibited at the annual convention of the International Organization of Lace (internationalorganizationoflace.org) in San Antonio, Texas, July 2018.
- German Free School (headquarters of the German Texan Heritage Society), Austin, Texas, May 2018.
- Pop-up at the Morgan Mill Community Center, April 2018.
- 4 North Event Center, Comanche, Texas, March 2018.
- The W. K. Gordon Center for Industrial History of Texas, Mingus, Texas, February-March 2018.
- Pop-up exhibit at the Senior Citizens Center, Stephenville, Texas, December 2017- January 2018.
- Dora Lee Langdon Center, Granbury, Texas, September 2017.
- Cross Timbers Fine Arts Council Gallery, Stephenville, Texas, July-August 2017.